Things are really moving up at our house. Two weekends ago, just the two of us spent all day Saturday cleaning up the area around the house preparing for imminent, permanent snow. Funny because it was almost 70 degrees, sunny, warm and beautiful. We also moved a lot of things inside the newly concreted basement – like the huge piles of wood in the driveway and all around the house. We picked up tools, trash, logs, nails, pallets, plywood, plastic, beer cans, water bottles, coffee cups, rebar and the many other bits and pieces of junk that managed to find our “yard.” So now our messy yard has filled up our pretty, flat, smooth, clean, empty basement… But at least we have that huge space to use to keep certain things sheltered, like the four-wheeler and plumbing parts and ladders and tools. The random wood piles were sorted by size so they can be reused. Curt even built a couple of sawhorses to create a makeshift work table with a plywood top. It was nice to have a more quiet, calm day to ourselves in gorgeous weather, not in a rush and not surrounded by contractors. I needed that! I needed to like our house again after the stressful weekends there recently. We cleaned up the deck to prepare it for staining too. The siding is finally complete on the wall of the house with the big windows. We took Sunday off because I had to work all day. Curt spent the day moving a bunch of stuff out of our storage unit so we can start moving those things up to our house.
This past Saturday, it was a little cooler but still around 50 degrees and sunny. We went up with Martin and our friend JJ to start framing. Curt was so excited because we are FINALLY at the stage of actually building. Wood, saw, hammer, nails, nail gun! They framed in the start of a few walls in the basement – most importantly the stairway leading to the main floor. Our contractor Chris started building the landing of both stairways and the actual stairs could be complete this week. He also built out the landing at the top of the stairs to the open loft area in front of the two upstairs bedrooms. Looks really cool – I didn’t even know the floor was going to jut out like that but I haven’t paid close attention to the plans. Curt also had to tear out the wood framing the garage. Our garage doors should be in this week or next but our steel guy needs to do some fixes to the beams on the sides of where the doors will go. He made quite a few mistakes which is unfortunate because he was the only steel guy we could find in the mountains. We had a structural engineer out to the house last week and he found a number of snafus that we are waiting on being fixed.
While the framing was going on inside the basement, I spent a few hours cleaning inside the main floor. More trash, misplaced tools, nails and a ton of sawdust. I also scrubbed down the deck to prep it for stain. While I was cleaning, we also had a guy come over with a skidster – something that scooped up dirt and gravel so it could be moved around. He flattened out the driveway and moved a bunch of gravel to the back patio where we needed to raise the ground height up a few inches. He also moved the last remaining boulders to the landing leading up to the front door. Then he even sawed down a dead tree, managing to make it fall in exactly the right spot (not on our house or cars) but taking another smaller tree out in the process. I was sad to see both trees go, but found a tutorial online for how to make tree stump side tables which should be cool.
I also raked out the remaining gravel in front of the driveway to prepare it for a concrete apron. Curt staked it out Sunday and Chris poured Monday – just in the nick of time because snow will be coming down heavy this week. We left Saturday evening a little after 7pm and the temp had dropped to 36 degrees. We got a lot accomplished though. Curt and JJ spent Sunday doing a little more framing and staining the deck until they ran out of stain. Curt and a friend and two contractors are up there today finishing framing in the garage doors and finishing staining the deck. The final missing window was delivered and installed in the kitchen and Chris is finally putting siding in the last spot needed, under the deck. Ready to wrap up this outside work and spend the winter inside!