|You can see the two tallest posts supporting the roof over our front door in this old photo, as well as the shorter posts in the back supporting the deck itself|
A few posts down are the photos of the huge reclaimed wood beams we bought back in September at The Lumber Guy, with the intention of building the first big bed to fill up our ginormous, empty master bedroom in Breck. Things just got too busy and we didn't end up building the bed until a few days before Christmas. I cleaned and sanded and smoothed the beams and then Curt cut them to the sizes he wanted before bringing them up from the garage into our bedroom. The bed came together in less than an hour after that point. It was much faster than the other beds he's built, because with those he had to actually build the parts and then build the bed. Here, the beams were so big, they WERE the parts, they needed nothing else.
Everything was arranged in the room and measurements were checked before he started drilling and adding bolts. We used a $10 metal piece from IKEA in the center of the bed to support the slats (pine beetle scraps from our floor!).
I gave the bed another scrubdown and then stained it with natural Minwax wood stain - the same thing we used on our window trim and ceiling beams.
Then, my favorite part! Curt was going to have the guy who made our railing create two metal poles to support the headboard which we had resting on the back of the bed. But he found two scraps leftover from that railing project in the garage and just drilled holes into the back piece of the bed and used them to prop up the headoard. It's exactly what I wanted - simple, rustic, chunky and with some metal detail from the bolts, washers and headboard posts. I am in love with it!
|Shamesless brag for my $300 Michael Kors duvet and shams purchased for $29 on clearance (more than two years ago - I knew I'd need them someday!)|
For the other bed, we finally got around to those annoying, expensive, too-short posts. To get them out of our way while we finished the house for over a year, they had been lugged around to every room inside, outside on our patio, back in their room and then finally downstairs to the garage where Curt cut them to size. Again we washed and sanded them and brought them back upstairs. For these, Curt used some leftover black metal brackets from our deck along with the bolts and washers, and they look amazing! Again, it was exactly what I wanted. Again, it barely took over an hour.
After it was assembled, using another $10 IKEA piece and more recycled pine beetle kill wood from our flooring, I stained it. We haven't build the headboard for that one yet, but we're thinking about doing something fabric covered, maybe twill, to soften the sort of industrial feel of the bed. That's Curt's preference - I like how it looks now!
So now we have two completely cool, handmade, recycled (every part and piece - all scraps except the metal IKEA center slat supports) huge beds that only cost a few hundred dollars in solid wood TOTAL and I couldn't be happier. These beds will be staying in this house forever. When we sell, they will stay. There is no way to get them out! Ha ha. I was pretty impressed with my husband's ability to achieve my vision on these two beds - in fact, far better than my vision - and with nothing to go on other than two pictures I had saved and my stubborn insistence that my beds look similar. Some days he can work miracles and then some days, like Sunday, he can't figure out how to install a $30 IKEA towel bar and he throws it on the living floor. From upstairs. And then has to drive all the way back to IKEA and buy a new one ;) And that's how I know he is human. I was appreciating that while I was on my hands and knees regrouting a bathroom floor that I had mistakenly done in two different shades of white. Whoops.
And while I had the stain out, I stained the ledge we just built as well as our mantel. It really brought out the grain though it doesn't look like it got that much darker in this photo.